Lip augmentation can create fuller, more voluptuous lips. During the procedure an implant, filler, or natural tissue is placed in the lips to add fullness and volume.
Various types of implants or tissues can be used to enhance the lips including:
- Natural Reshaping of the Lips with the NaturaLip Procedure: This procedure uses the skin of the inner lip area (next to the teeth), to roll out the upper lip and create a fuller, more pouty shape to the upper lip. Dr. Bresnick invented this procedure and is the expert on the technique.
- Soft Tissue Implant: A human soft tissue implant, known as AlloDerm, can be placed in the lips to create additional fullness. The lips achieve a full and soft result. Patients love that AlloDerm feels very similar to a natural lip. The AlloDerm soft tissue lip implant will slowly diminish in time. Most patients gain several years of lip enhancement with AlloDerm.
- Permanent Lip Implant: A permanent lip implant known as the PermaLip Implant, can be surgically placed into the lips to enhance lip fullness. This implant is stable, safe, and removable if desired. These implants give a nice lip enhancement and are available in several different sizes, allowing us to customize the result.
- Dermal Fillers: Injectable dermal fillers provide temporary lip augmentation without surgery. Soft tissue fillers, such as Juvéderm, are injected into the lips. This helps smooth away vertical lip lines and adds additional volume. The results are soft and natural feeling, but temporary. Most patients enjoy their results for about 6 months before a touch-up session is needed. With regular follow-up injections, results can be long-lasting. Dermal fillers require no downtime after treatment.
- Natural Fat: Fatty tissue from the patient can be obtained through a small liposuction procedure under local anesthesia. This fat will be processed and injected into the lips. Over the next few weeks, a portion of the transferred fat will establish a blood supply, permanently becoming part of the lips. Patients often lose some of the transplanted fat, especially in the first few weeks, but once the fat is established, it offers long-lasting fullness to the lip area.
For fuller lips, ask us about our options for lip augmentation in Los Angeles, CA.
For patients with overly full lips or lip asymmetry, we offer lip reduction surgery. Lip reduction removes unwanted lip tissue, restoring a more uniform and balanced facial appearance. Dr. Bresnick often uses lip reduction to correct uneven lip lines and to treat lip abnormalities, including congenital deformities, damage from lip trauma, and unsatisfactory results from a previous lip augmentation. By restoring symmetry to the lips and bringing lip size into harmony with other facial features, we can improve your overall facial appearance.
We are pleased to offer lip reduction in Los Angeles, CA and the surrounding areas.
The lip lift is a procedure in which a long, thin lip is lifted to gain a fuller appearance. As we age, the upper lip gets longer and the upper teeth show less when we smile. The lip lift reverses this shape by removing skin between the bottom of the nose and the top of the lip. The distance between the nose and lip decreases with the lip lift, which offers a younger look to the face.
There are two options for upper lip lift, including an incision concealed in the crease under the nose or an incision placed in the natural line of the upper lip. These procedures offer dramatic lip shape changes but do require the trade-off for a scar. The scars fade in time, but the lifted lip maintains an improved appearance for many years. For patients with the desire to give a fuller appearance to the upper lip and do not require or desire the lip lift, The NaturaLip Procedure described below may be a great option.