Common Body Contouring Questions Answered
If you are considering undergoing body contouring to regain your figure after pregnancy, breastfeeding, or significant weight loss, you probably have questions. As an experienced and trusted board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Stephen Bresnick understands how frustrating it can be to attain your dream body shape and your self-confidence and vitality with it.
Dr. Bresnick and his entire care team offer a wide range of body contouring treatments to help you combat the areas of your body troubling you so that you can achieve your desired figure. Read on to get the answers to the most common questions about body contouring so that you are better prepared to get the shape you’ve always wanted.
What Is Body Contouring?
Body contouring, sometimes referred to as body sculpting, is the term for a set of cosmetic procedures that sculpt and shape your body to improve your appearance. It works by removing excess fat and skin that can remain after you’ve lost weight through diet and exercise or that may form as you age. It also includes tightening of the abdominal muscles, such as in a tummy tuck.
There are many forms of body contouring available, including both surgical and non-surgical procedures. Dr. Bresnick offers a wide range of body contouring procedures, and these can be fully customized to meet your unique aesthetic goals.
Can Body Contouring Help Me Lose Weight?
Body contouring procedures make is appear that you have lost weight. Patients look more lean and toned. However, if a patient gets on the scale, to their surprise, the body weight has not typically changed all that much. That is very true with liposuction, but other procedures such as tummy tuck are associated with some weight loss. These procedures can eliminate several pounds of excess skin and fatty tissue and a half-inch to three inches from your waistline with results that can make you feel better about your body and provide motivation to become more active.
How Do I Decide Which Body Contouring Procedure Is Right for Me?
Your choice of body contouring procedure will depend on what areas of your body you would like to target, as well as your willingness to have surgery with its subsequent downtime.
- For distinct pockets of fatty tissue, provided you have good muscle tone and smooth, resilient skin, a non-surgical treatment like CoolSculpting offered by Dr. Bresnick’s SILK team in Encino, CA, might get you closer to your ideal body. Administered at reduced temperatures, CoolSculpting causes fat cells to freeze, resulting in your body naturally eliminating them over 1-3 months.
- For faster results in removing more prominent bulges of fat, liposuction might be a better option. As minimally invasive surgery, you’ll need to plan for a few days of recovery for liposuction.
- If your body concerns include loose skin on your belly and over-stretched abdominal muscles, a mommy makeover will provide a fresh, rejuvenated look. Typically, this procedure would include a tummy tuck which removes extra skin and repairs abdominal muscles for a firm, flat, smooth midsection and a slimmer waist.
- For low breasts or where your breast size or shape impacts your lifestyle, you might add breast surgery to your body contouring plan.
Your consultation with skilled and experienced plastic surgeon Dr. Bresnick is the best way to understand your body contouring options and find out which will best address your concerns and needs. A combination of procedures might be the best solution for you.
Are You a Candidate for Body Contouring?
Due to the nature of body contouring procedures, not everyone is an ideal candidate. During your consultation, Dr. Bresnick will review your health history and carry out a physical examination to determine if body contouring is right for you.
You are considered an ideal candidate if you:
- Have excess skin after significant weight loss
- Are already close to your ideal weight
- Have positive, realistic goals
- Are a non-smoker
Ready to Get the Shape You Want With Body Contouring?
If you want more information about body contouring in Encino, California, Dr. Bresnick and his team can help. To get started on getting your body into a younger, slimmer shape, call us today at (818) 981-3333 or contact us to schedule an appointment.